Friday, September 9, 2011

Chapter 4: Some things are just overrated

Over the past week I have discovered that many of my prior necessities are not really necessities at all. I’m not speaking of the obvious-- like using soap instead of shampoo when in a pinch or washing things by hand when without a washing machine. No, these are just a little bit more subtle.






The first item that is overrated is tupperware or any other ware designed to store food items in the refrigerator. It is quite simple, really. Any item that comes in a jar is worth the money. Dinner started out as this….





                                                      And the left overs ended up in this... 



Speaking of ware... Silver ware is overrated as well. I use my granola bar to scoop peanut butter now.


The cracker will spread the butter and it's better than a knife—you can eat it!




                                        Who needs a cup when you’re the only one around?




The next item that is overrated is the mop bucket. Sanitize the toilet and let that be your mop bucket you say? Well in some parts of the world, (ie. Almost everywhere except the United States) the toilet only gets a small amount of water. Fill it up with a bucket, you say? I’ll ignore the comment about a bucket for now. I filled it with a jug of water… very slowly…  and it flushed my chemical down the toilet... very slowly








The solution? The shower stall. It's not a bucket, toilet, or bath tub but it will do. I just have to disinfect the shower before I use it every time...





Eventually, the mop bucket won out, BUT only because I needed something to carry my new purchases home in from the Chinese Wal-Mart in (thus the reason I bought two buckets). Grocery bags are overrated.







 This is a pot. The lid is keeping the noodles in the pot while I dump the water. It replacing the overrated strainer.



 Are those potholders? They kept the heat from the plastic handles from burning my skin...





Actually, they are socks.



And last but most importantly, instant fresh brewed coffee! Coffee pots, french presses, and th like are overrated.









1 comment:

  1. It's scary I am following you so well and feel educated. My future husband may not thank you for these ingenius ideas BUT that doesn't negate the ingenuity!!! :). Very self sufficient Brittany. You were definitely the right person for this :) virtual hugs!!

    ReplyDelete