Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chapter 3: Peeling

Well, tonight was open house and I met a few of my students' parents. They were so eager to help me get acclimated to China. Most of them are transplants too.

Also, today I put several questions on the board with the directions "Discuss with your groups." They were good questions, but I also wanted to see how they would do. The most amazing thing occurred. They discussed. They engaged. They respectfully agreed and disagreed. Then I told the two groups of five (That is right, a class of 10) to talk as a class. The most amazing thing occurred. They discussed. They engaged. They respectfully agreed and disagreed. They compared the issue to other world events. I ran out of the classroom because I saw a teacher walking by just so I could tell them what happened and how new it was to me. He said "Welcome to teaching nirvana."

The heat and humidity is steadily becoming less of an issue. Each day, it gets easier, much easier to handle.

Father, thank you for slowly peeling away my comfort so I can be free to live.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Wonderful. Enjoy this amazing experience, even when it's uncomfortable. Hugs! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :). I'm impressed too! And I love the fact there are 10 not 30!! (As our school year starts and challenges have begun on the homework homefront)

    ReplyDelete