Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chapter 8: (Part 2) The second site


Cambodia
Day 1, Site 2
Mostly excerpted from my journal

This afternoon, I fell in love with the children here. We visited Samuel’s School, a Christian day school for children to attend when they are not in regular school (They have half days of school. Half of the kids go in the morning and half go in the afternoon).  We did two dramas, Joshua and the Battle of Jericho—very interactive and great fun and we did Zacheus again. Kristen taught them two songs which corresponded to the stories.

Our team and ministry partners then went to the upper room[1]. There, we discussed the ministry needs in Cambodia[2]. We took communion and prayed together in a circle. We then prayer walked through a slum site that was moved into an alley because their first two neighborhoods (slum/dump sites) were flooded. They were forced out of their homes twice this season due to the immense flooding.

The moment I walked into the alley, the children grabbed onto me. They would not let me go. They hugged my legs, squeezed me, and wanted to be held… all at the same time! They wanted hugs and kisses and to have their pictures taken. They wanted to know Jesus; I know it. They are children of light.

I fell in love with these children. Their eyes are so inviting. They just want love and attention. I have a desire to build a school here, another school, an orphanage perhaps. I want to educate the women and children, to teach them literacy and help them learn skills, and their value in Christ, to see The Kingdom expand. The harvest is so ripe and this place feels so right. There is so much work to be done and the people are so receptive. The soil is fertile.

I now understand “Matthew 18:2-4” in a new light.

“2And [Jesus] calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

I used to think that this just meant we needed to have blind faith like children, faith that they will be taken care of and will believe anything, but after this experience, I realize that it means so much more.

The people there, especially the women and children, are so humble that they will accept any gift offered to them. They will also ask if they see someone who looks like they have something to give. The spirit with which they do this is not like other spirits I have encountered, demanding and ungrateful spirits, but one of desperate hope. They are humble like children, naked and less ashamed than the rest of us. They know they are needy and in need of help. I understand now that this is how we all must be in order to have a relationship with the Father. That is why it is so hard for the rich to inherit the Kingdom. What have we really to ask for?


[1] Note that the upper room was literally the only room upstairs. I LOVE the biblical allusion.
[2] Cambodia is an OPEN field.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a truly inspirational vision you have. I have no words but I have seen the same eyes :).

    ReplyDelete